Saturday, March 12, 2016

Gillian Lavery - What has evolved.

Walking to the gallery this morning and I realised something.
I haven’t been here for a few days...
I don’t know what has evolved, what has been created and what has changed during the week.

It is not often that you go to mind the gallery of an exhibition you are in with the sense of not knowing what you will be greeted by.
More often than not you install a show and then it stays that way until you take it down. But that is not the case for this exhibition – and it is really exciting.

As I settled into my minding/drawing shift I noticed the subtle changes in the colour of the bees wax on Kath’s works and the shifts the powdered charcoal had made. I reacquainted myself with Ren’s drawings, making note of the additional marks on the paper and the quite dramatic transformation of the canvas (see below). The feeling of activity and energy lingered in the space. It was an energy I then used to continue my own drawing. I wonder if this sense of activity is as evident to the viewer and whether this changes their experience of the exhibition.


Renuka Fernando, Continuous Drawing, 2016, mixed media on canvas and preparatory sketches    

When Ren popped in later on we discussed how the works had changed, what she tried, what worked, what didn’t, and where to go from here... 

I am looking forward to seeing what happens next week.



Gillian Lavery
www.gillianlavery.com